Mar 15, 2009

Birthday, baby and birds

Thanks to all the friends on Facebook and all the folks I ran across last Tuesday who extended their wishes for my 30th birthday. My sisters try to razz me about the year (even the older sister, which is kinda self-defeating), but like they say 'age ain't nothin' but a number.'


My mom stopped by with a darling little cake for me, which was splendid since I hadn't made one. The topper was a little box, containing an antique gold and diamond ring belonging to my family back when we were the Spencers, the same line that produced Princess Di.



Our new Nubian buck Ford finally arrived, his delivery having been rescheduled twice by the February flu and the March snow. He's gorgeous! And ironically patterned exactly like a French Alpine. The plan is to have our herd Queen Dierdre adopt him so he'll come up with rank in his new herd. Thus far, progress is slow. He's not bonding to us very well and was resistant to the playful advances of his kid-pen-mate Prieka. Thankfully, he's beginning to warm up and even accept a bottle from me with minimum struggle. Once he's more settled, we'll make another run at Dierdre. He likes to sit on the couch with us, but I can't tell if its fondness or passive resistance.
Here is Ford with my nephews Rieley and Biscuit.





We also came into possession of half a dozen chickens whose owners have to move and can't take them with. They are Barred Rocks, Buff Orpingtons, a Rhode Island Red and something else. We lost two the second night to the crafty wild predators that call our property home.




And what's a birthday without presents? My darling husband Kevin gave me a pop-up card with kissing gophers (some kind of woodland creature at any rate) with the handwritten message at the bottom, "Good for one starter bee kit." Squeeee! And my sister Joey, mom of the aforementioned nephews brought me a glass vase of cut sunflowers, the bottom of which was filled with something shiny. It turned out to be a small fortune in dollar coins! Seed catalog, here I come!

All in all, a pretty good day on the old farm.

No comments: