May 4, 2009

You put your weed in there.

WeedS plural. Sorry. For some reason the state of my garden reminded me of that early 90's SNL catch phrase.

Those interweb users who follow me on Twitter or are my friends on Facebook will already know that I was very excited about my garden and put a lot of work into preparing. I mean a lot. A lot a lot. It was marvelous to get out there and start planting. We initially put in spinach, lettuce, peas, beans, carrots and beets and I started seeds for brocolli, cauliflower and cabbage. Nothing came up in the garden. The seedlings in the trays came up, them promptly died. Somewhere in these last few months, I seem to have forgotten that I have a black thumb. You are reading the narrative of a person who planted kudzu and couldn't coax it to grow. The growers down at the 17th St Farmers Market got a big kick out of that, I tell you what.

So nothing's growing for weeks and its very discouraging and I sort of stopped paying attention to the garden. Well, not sort of, that's exactly what I did. In the meantime, while the vegetables were busy not growing, the weeds got on like a house on fire.

I've got a job of work ahead of me, sure'n'all, and no money to spare to rent a tiller. So I'm hitting it old school, shoveling and hand-weeding, plus considerable mulching, until the garden is back under my control. I'll post pics of my victory (knock wood) soon. In the meantime, a gardening tip - before you head out to work, claw your fingernails into a bar of soap, preferably one that's soft from recent use. That way you'll have soap under your fingernails and not dirt. The former is much easier to wash off than the latter.


Bonus pic, my lovely birthday beehive,
but, quel dommage, there are no bees in it.

No comments: