Sep 26, 2011

Can you believe it?

Ten years.

As of this month, the 15th to be specific, Wild Heaven Farm has been selling soap for ten years. Ever since that first sunny autumn morning at Rockwood Park, where I laid out six fragrances of soap and corresponding bath bombs and waited with baited breath. The soaps were in plain rectangles and were priced individually as they varied wildly in weight. The bath bombs would disintegrate if you looked at them too hard, let alone did anything complicated like put them in the customer's bag. Our display was an old rust-dusted metal shoe rack we found in a shed, covered with a scrap yard of crushed velvet. We probably only had one or two stuffed goats to bring out the theme. I don't even remember if we had a sign. If memory serves, and it only barely did even before the lightning, we made $135 that day and I was over the moon.

Nowadays, we have over two dozen fragrances in the soap, as well as lotion, body butter, lip balm, brown sugar scrub, shaving products and baby products. It wasn't a straight shot between there and here, of course. In the last decade, we've been through two house fires, an additional major renovation, four spinal surgeries (my husband), chronic pain in both hands (me), mysterious animal plagues, and other tales of woe. (This year alone saw snow in April, a tornado, and a hurricane.) Of course, we've also hired our first sales associate, put together a really respectable and goat-y display, gotten into bigger and better shows, been interviewed for radio, tv, and print, and seen our product find a special place in the lives of our loyal customers (or as I like to call you all, “my constituency,” though I like to pronounce it like this).

By lucky hap, through the fires and moves, a few old pictures of our erstwhile displays have surfaced and by an absolute miracle, I managed not to lose them a second time. Check it out.

This was 2002 or 2003, at Clover Hill High. My sister Johanna made the signs for me.

Here you can see the beginnings of our current display. This was probably 2006 at the Pungo Strawberry Festival. It's almost embarrassing to look back on now, but I was pretty proud of what I'd put together at that point.

Now, of course, the display goes a little somethin' like this.


Speaking of bigger and better, keep your eyes on our website for a fresh new look courtesy of the best techie I could ever hope to work with. Alan Francis really is the small business person's web developer. I urge all my business-owner readers to engage his services for establishing your internet presence or finally getting a website that properly represents you to your customers.

No comments: